Diez, Dime, Hamilton, X, a decade…
Back to that in a second.
First, Happy New Year to everyone from Droppin.com.
Second, you may be asking yourself why I posted a picture of me in my old Reality Rap-Up days. Well it may come as a shocker to some, including myself, but a little research I recently did revealed that 2012 is a very special year for us at Droppin.com because it marks 10 years of Droppin on the internet.
Thats right, back in 2002 two young intrepid brothers set out to revolutionize the interwebz with their own unique take on pop culture, sports and…and…well we haven’t exactly set the world on fire but we are still here baby and we’ll keep plugging along for another 10…at least!
So are you a true Droppin fan? Here are a few obscure facts about our last ten years:
-The site has been through 4 major redesigns over the years starting off as a convoluted Frontpage designed nightmare to update and moving over to the current blogish WordPress format back in 2006…wow we have been on WordPress for 5 years…hear that Showtime? Sounds like we are overdue for another major redesign, 5 years is way too long!
– When the site started we had a section of the website reserved for our favorites. To give a bit of perspective Showtime listed his favorite “current” football player as Jerry Rice, TV show as Friends and movie as Monsters Inc. I more embarrassingly listed my favorite current football player as Drew Bledsoe…YIKES! Oh wait in 2002 he had hooked himself up to the Juvi machine for the Cowboys and was winning me fantasy football games that he had no business being a part of…
– The original site focused on 5 major subjects; Sports, Entertainment, Video Games, Business and the broadly titled “Life”…almost like the USA today!
– Some other names originally considered for the site included, CrackinWise and the immortal “Jump Shoots the Gift”…okay maybe more as jokes but they were still under discussion…I’m guessing Jumpshootsthegift.com might still be available.
– While the artwork gracing the site has trailed off over the years all of our classic imagery (See above) was designed by Showtime himself, I suppose that was back when he had free time.
– We were originally considering naming our video game section “Gaming Bros” considering that Showtime and myself are in fact brothers…however when you read “Gaming Bros” out loud it sounds like an entirely different site all together.
-Some of the most popular topics that drove hits and discussion back in the day…New Edition reunion with Puffy, anything Madden, Will Ferrel’s dad and naked Jeff Probst! (more hits baby!)
-Showtime used to write a “daily” article called food for thought that recapped what we talked about and ate for lunch every day. After the tomato soup hot dogs though I think he realized he couldn’t top it and put it on hiatus. I’d love to see this one come back but sadly we never see each other or talk anymore…
-This one isn’t really a part of the site but Showtime or myself have won every Fantasy Football or Basketball league we have participated in since 2002…can’t be a coincidence. Maybe we should dust off that Fantasy Sports column eh Fantasy Coach?
-My favorite acronym of all time…S.I.T.T.S.I.F.!
Anywho, over the upcoming weeks and months Showtime and I might try to dust off some of our old favorites for a retro look back at how far we have come over the years. I know you can be sure to be on the lookout for some retro Reality Rap-Ups from me…it would be a shame for me to not rehash all that good Survivor bashing one more time. If anyone can beat a joke into the ground again after 10 years its me baby!